Nov 21, 2011

It's basketball season!

 The basketball season just started up and I’m so excited that I made it on the Varsity team this year! This would be my second year of basketball, seeing how I did it sophomore year. I was so excited to get this season going and of course I have bad luck. Try-outs went from Monday November 7th to Wednesday November 9th. Our first practice was November 10th, Thursday. What are the odds that I get caught up in chit-chatting with the other teammates that I forget to stretch? Towards the end of Thursdays practice I felt a slight pain in my right thigh. I assumed it was just a sore muscle and continued playing basketball on it. Three days go by of practicing on it and I realized that it progressively got worse. The pain went from a little, to a lot! It had a sharp burning pain and as I ran, my muscle would stiffen and hurt even more. I told the coach that I would have to sit out for any running that we did. I also, started icing my leg. Once it didn’t get better, I finally told my parents that it was time for me to go see the doctors. As the doctor stretched my right leg out to find out where the pain was, he told me that I had a thigh muscle sprain. He then took me out of gym and basketball for an entire week. I was very unhappy about this but there wasn’t anything I could do about it. I would have had to just suck it up and deal with it. He told me not to ice it, which I previously was doing which didn’t help it at all. Instead I had to heat it. I was told that practicing on it after Thursday also caused it to get worse. From then on I had to put three different muscle creams on my thigh. I also had to wear an elastic wrap to bed and wear a thigh support for pressure during the day. Sadly, I will have to continuing wearing the thigh support throughout gym and basketball now. The doctor told me that now that this happened, it is likely to reoccur. I hope this doesn’t happen because I have already physically missed so much in basketball. Mentally learning plays and sitting through a two hour daily practice, was extremely boring. It was torture. As this Wednesday appears to be the 23rd, a week, I will be able to return to basketball on Good Friday. I’ll be returning to gym the week we come back to school. I cannot wait to return to basketball and gym, mostly basketball, because it is my passion. Although I didn’t enjoy sitting out, I had to or else I would have injured myself so bad that I would have been out of basketball for the entire season. Sitting out was boring, but it was good for my injury and myself. Now, I cannot wait to return and get myself back in the game. Hopefully this time, my injury won’t reoccur, but I’m ready to give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment