Oct 4, 2011

"I promise you, It will get better."

When I heard about the incident with Jamey Rodemeyer, a Williamsville North High freshman, my heart instantly sank. It amazes me how cruel some people can be. I feel extremely sorry for Jamey’s loved ones for what they are going through right now. It seems as if nobody truly cares about people being bullied. It’s as if their thoughts are, “better them then me.”  Nobody in any circumstances deserves to be bullied for anything. Whether it be sexual orientation, religion, intelligence, or high school status, everybody is human and is equal. I, however, don’t agree with their not being a law against bullying. I feel that there is too much of bullying in the world today. Some people may say they haven’t seen it, but the truth is, they have. They just aren’t truly looking at the issues at hand. Instead they look past it as if it’s normal, which sadly, it pretty much is. Bullying shouldn’t be something seen as normal. It’s something big and major. It’s pretty sad that it takes one fourteen year old boy to take his life in order for this to come to people’s attention. This issue went so big that celebrity Lady Gaga has been tweeting on Twitter about it. Gaga even recently sang a song at a concert in memory of Jamey Rodemeyer. The song she sang, Hair, expressed words that went perfectly along with this issue. Lines such as, "Why can't I be who I wanna be?", "I want you to love me for who I am", "I just wanna be myself", "I've had enough, this is my prayer, that I'll die living just as free as my hair" and "I just want to be free, I just want to be me, and I want lots of friends that invite me to their parties. Don't wanna change, and I don't wanna be ashamed." Many were choked up by the lyrics that went hand in hand in the memory of this young boy. Many campaigns have been created because of this entire issue such as Paws up for Jamey and NoH8. Jamey was just a boy who was being true to himself. He liked what he liked because that was him. Not everybody is meant to be the same. Everybody is going to be different, that’s the way it’s supposed to be. What others choose to listen to, to wear, to like, or to do, is their choice. Not yours. If you don’t like it, that’s fine, but you don’t need to bully them because of it. The last time I checked, everybody was allowed to be their own person, to do their own thing of their own liking. Just because somebody isn’t like you or doesn’t fit your standards doesn’t mean they should die or shouldn’t exist! In all honesty, not everybody is going to like everybody. However, you should still be civil towards that person. People now a day are showing how heartless they are. Before you speak you should truly think about what you’re saying and how it is going to affect your life along with that person’s life. I’m not a fan of bullying and the way I see it, nobody deserves it. If you see someone being bullied, you should speak up and say something. Don't keep it quiet. You never know, you just might save a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment