Oct 27, 2011

The Turkey Day tradition!

For all holidays my family always has a family gathering. However, each gathering tradition is different. For thanksgiving our traditions start off with making the homemade food. Thanksgiving is usually at my house, so everybody usually comes over around noon or so. Some of my family members make their part of the food at home, while some make it at my house. My parents usually always make the turkey. Preferably my dad because my mom is so busy with making sure the house is tidy and other stuff is done before family arrives. My siblings and I always have a specific thing that we have to do to help out. It varies from cleaning to preparing food. Although it is just family coming over, it’s important that we make the house tidy just for family respect. By the time family arrives, food that is already made waits to be heated back up while other food is in the process of being made. My house is always packed with my family spread out everywhere. My grandparents have a tendency to sit at the dining room table chatting, my younger boy cousins are usually upstairs playing play station with my brother, my older boy and girl cousins sit in the living room with their girlfriends/boyfriends along with my uncles watching television, my younger girl cousins are usually in my room with my sister and I, while my mom and my aunts are usually in the kitchen watching over the food. Everybody is spread out everywhere until it’s time to eat! Once we eat, everyone is usually in the living room or in the dining room eating because those two rooms are right off of each other. One thing I love is the sound of everybody talking. If you sit back you can easily hear everybody’s conversations. Once dinner is finished it’s time for desert! As everybody finishes their deserts, my mom and aunts do the dishes. Once those are done the entire house is empty except for the living room. This is the best part of our family’s Thanksgiving tradition! We all sit together in the living room as we watch many movies. I’ve never had a better thanksgiving movie night then this one. I can’t even begin with the variety of movies we watch. There is never a genre we don’t miss. Everybody usually sits around until about eleven at night, and then we all say our goodbyes. I love how much family time is truly spent together during our Thanksgiving tradition. This is one of the million reasons why Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Nothing about this traditional gathering gets old. I simply love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment