Feb 7, 2012

K4. Let's run away, from here.

It’s been five years now that I have begged my parents to remove the old wallpaper in my bedroom. They don’t understand how childish it looks for a teenager like me. I’m no longer that little girl from primary or intermediate school, yet they always make me feel as if I am. I’m a teenager now, not a child. It was years ago when I was young that I last liked the wallpaper of doves. However, being older all I want now is a change. I wanted them to see that I could spread my wings and fly; I’m old enough to stand for myself and do things on my own. Coming home from school today, it was just another typical day where my parents put a controlling hold on me. As soon as I got home I was cornered with making sure my homework was done. Of course I was questioned on who I was going to be with later and where I was going to be, not forgetting the fact I was reminded of my early curfew about twenty times. Getting out of the house was a major breather for me. Being away from home made me feel as if I was free to explore on my own and finally be an adult, at least I felt that way until my curfew time approached. I loved my parents to death but ever since my brother passed away seven years ago, they act as if I can’t ever grow up. I’m never allowed to do anything without being put on lock down by them. Lately, I’ve always been questioning what it would take for them to see that I can be on my own perfectly fine. Five years of dealing with this was just way too long. As I got home, I finally realized I had enough. It was time for them to see that they need to let me spread my wings. As morning arrived, I watched as my parents came into my room as panic showed across their face. Standing in the room the strong wind blew through the window as my mother grabbed a piece of a dove’s wing that was lifted off the wallpaper. It was then that I could see reality finally hit her. Just as tears were about to approach their faces, I came out from behind the closet door. It’s been two days now, and I really love my new wallpaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment