Apr 25, 2012

P3. Teachers evaluation.

Reading the article on teacher’s evaluation in New York, I am shocked. The Obama administration is beginning to have teacher’s evaluated based on a combination of students test scores and classroom observations. I don’t think its right for a teacher’s job to be put on the line based on students test scores. I don’t think the Obama administration is clearly looking at this issue correctly. This can cause a lot of stress on the children, yet I’m sure they didn’t realize that. The kids can feel pressured and stressed to have to get perfect test scores in order to save their teachers job. Also, this issue causes a lot of stress on the teachers. They need to make sure their students are doing well enough to save their own job. A teacher shouldn’t have to worry about losing their job over some students test scores. Most teachers can count the number of students doing poorly on one hand. Pretty much it’s stating that if the student’s test scores combined aren’t as high as other teachers, then that teacher is placed down low and in risk of losing their job. That to me isn’t fair. Reading about this made me a tad nervous because I am going to major in Art education so my future can be based on this. Another reason why I don’t think this is properly thought through by the Obama administration is because it’s taking away the real meaning of teaching. Future teachers won’t be coming in for the correct reasons that they wanted to. Many teachers that are going to be coming in are coming in for the love of the job, for wanting to teach kids that specific subject. With this change from the Obama administration, teachers will be coming in and having to stress working. They will be forced for their own safety, to make sure these students test scores are as high as possible so they aren’t at risk. I honestly don’t think a good teacher should be at the risk of losing their job over a combination of test scores. I hope this doesn’t continue on because I know for sure what I want to do in my future and whether or not this will still be occurring, I’m going to do what I love and want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment